Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Christmas Coin Massacre

My daughter, Adriana, was born in 1996. Three years later my Father-in-Law informed me that he was starting a collection of the State Quarters series for each of his grandchildren. He told me that he had bought a map display board for each child, and would give them the coins once the series was complete. At the time there were four kids, but the crew grew to five as my Brother-in-Law's brood grew.

Mr. and Mrs. T gave the kids their state quarter collections this Christmas Day. Each child got a map and a plastic bag of coins, which needed to be inserted into the slots in the maps.

As a coin collector, I was really happy with the quality of coins that Mr. and Mrs. T gave the kids. These were business strikes, nothing special. This was really important because the kids were not interested in the real numismatic value of their newly acquired collections. They were interested in the pictures on the reverse of the coins and where they went in the maps.

As is typical with folders, from whatever manufacturer, the coins were quite difficult to put into the appointed slots. And unless the coin is soundly snapped into place it is likely to come loose and fall to the floor. Fingers on the coins were something I expected. I was totally unprepared for what happened next.

First, my daughter placed the map on the floor and decided to stomp a coin into its slot. I was horrified, but then I saw the enthusiasm in the kids' eyes. The stomping stopped when they realized they might scratch the coins with grit on the bottoms of their shoes. But the kids soon decided that a butt bouncing up and down on a carefully placed coin might force it into place. Finally one of the kids brought in some screw drivers, and using the rounded butt end of the handles the coins were pressed into the proper locations.

I'm pretty certain there weren't any gems there before the Christmas Coin Massacre. And afterwards I can assure you that had there been any gems they weren't that way anymore. But there are five kids who now have a bit more interest in coins -- and maybe in collecting them.

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment