Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Coiny Christmas or Numismatic Noel!

Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year. The blessings behind the current Holiday are most important, of course. I love the decorations and the music. And I can't really say that the gifts are a bad thing either.

One of the things that I enjoy about the Season, though, is a little tradition that I have of treating myself to something that I'd like to have, but just didn't want to spend the cash. This year I splurged. Two items entering the Haule household this year, one sensible and informative. One silly and frivolous.


First, I finally decided to buy a copy of the book Abraham Lincoln: The Image of His Greatness. It's not that I've had any doubt whatsoever about the book. I've probably read half of it while standing in the local Barnes and Noble.

I like this book for SO many reasons! First, I am a fan of coins and coin collecting. I am a fan of Abraham Lincoln. American History is one of my favorite things to read about. I read three or four books at a time, and I ALWAYS am working on at least one book from the Civil War. (I'm currently reading a biography of Robert E. Lee and the autobiography of Ulysses S Grant. I guess that's my tribute to the "fairness doctrine.") My first coin collection was Lincoln Cents. And I've written quite a bit about Lincoln Cents. This book is a natural for me.

My second treat for myself is something I'm not sure I'm going to like, but I bought it online, and I'll see what I think once it arrives.

I enjoy talking with people about coin collecting. I call it Numismatic Evangelism. I frequently wear a shirt which proclaims that coin collecting is a "Cents-ible Hobby." It has a picture of a Lincoln Cent on the chest, and it almost never fails to draw some sort of comment.

The Item I bought is a belt buckle featuring 10 Indian Head Cents. My wife proclaimed it "kinda strange, but you're kinda like that sometimes." I guess I'll plead guilty to that, and do so proudly . . . although I tend to like the word eccentric rather than strange. I'll be very interested in seeing what reaction is to the buckle. I already carry a money clip featuring a Walking Liberty Half Dollar, which draws smiles now and then. We'll see what happens once the buckle arrives!

Merry Christmas to you! I hope you have a great holiday, and that you enjoy blessings of the Season.

No comments:

Post a Comment