Saturday, November 20, 2010

Grapevine TX Coin Show


I went to the coin show in Grapevine, Texas today.

One of the good things about living in the Dallas / Fort Worth Metroplex is the frequency of Coin Shows. The one in Grapevine is pretty good. It takes place about a half dozen times a year, and it frequently has a very good selection of coin dealers -- local folks as well as some from several hundred miles away.

You can usually get some pretty good deals.

This was the first Grapevine show in which I was disappointed. For the most part it was my expectations. The dealers were there. True, the coin supply business that usually attends had chosen to go to a show closer to home, but I couldn't complain about the representation.

I just didn't find the coins I was looking for.

I went in looking for Mercury Dimes. I had some specific dates and mint marks in mind. It seemed to me that the quantity of Mercury Dimes displayed was lower than usual. And many of the coins I saw seemed very generously graded. Several dealers had coins which I would have graded slightly better than Good, graded VF+. And they weren't moving in their grades. And I know that the price of silver has increased over the past months, but I saw what I would have called pricing discrepancies of up to $50 per coin. A coin which sells for $10 at one booth shouldn't be priced at $60 in the next booth.

I don't know. Maybe I was in a bad mood. Maybe I was feeling a little Grinchly.

I had a good time, but this is the first show in two years at which I walked away without adding a coin to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment