Tuesday, November 9, 2010

An Eruption at the US Mint. Molten Metal and Lava Collide!


I was thinking about the America the Beautiful Quarters series from the US Mint, which features United States National Parks, Historical Sites, Wildlife Sanctuaries and such. I had the opportunity to look at the designs approved by the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee for the 2012 coins. The one that caught my eye first was the design for the coin from Hawaii.

The Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee was established by Congress in 2003 to advise the Secretary of the Treasury on the themes and designs of all US coins and medals. The CCAC serves as an informed, experienced and impartial resource to the Secretary of the Treasury and represents the interests of American citizens and collectors. It has historically been quite conservative in its choice of designs.

The Hawai'i design is somewhat different than many designs chosen in the past. Some folks see it as "modernistic" and "almost abstract." Designers and engravers applaud the decision as endorsing artistic freedom.

Other designs in the running reportedly featured Hula Dancers, with an erupting volcano in the background. The endorsed design puts the volcano front and center. One member of the CCAC indicated that the design could be mistaken for a campfire. But Chief Engraver John Mercanti and Kaarina Budow, the Mint's manager for sales and marketing, say they will make the design work.

While I like the concept of the design, I'm afraid that I am going to need more images, and maybe actually hold the first coin in my hand before I give the design the thumbs up or thumbs down.

Art Haule
http://www.squidoo.com/nationalparkquarter




P.S. I apologize for my somewhat sporadic presence here. It'll get much better in the coming weeks. I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment