Thursday, April 16, 2009

Coin Show This Weekend -- Woo-Hoo!


I enjoy going to coin shows. And this weekend there is going to be a show in Grapevine, TX. That's just 9.6 miles from my house! That's great news for me!
How do I prepare for a show? Before the show I will have decided what types of coins I will concentrate on. (This time it will be Lincoln Cents, Indian Head Cents and Mercury Dimes.) I read up on them so that I know what to look for, and I know if a dealer is being honest. They almost always are. The addage, "Read the book before you buy the coin," is great advice.

I like going to the shows early. If I get to the venue within the first half hour of the show's opening there are usually not many people there. The aisles are clear. The dealers are ready to sell, but don't have anyone to do business with yet. That's great because most of them are willing to chat.
I usually try to talk with dealers who are knowledgable and friendly. I talk about coins that I don't know very well. I tell them that I don't really know what I'm looking at, and they are almost always willing to spend some time with me. I'm amazed at the depth of knowledge that some of these dealers have! They usually don't make big sales with me, but you can be sure that I remember who it is that treats me well. And you can be sure that if they treat me well, they have a much better chance of getting future business from me.

What do I take with me?
1. A list of coins I am looking for.
2. A magnifying glass.
3. A pad on which I can take notes.
4. An attitude which says, "I don't have to buy anything here today." Too many people rush in and buy something from the first dealer they see, whether they want the coin or not. And too many people just can't walk out the door without a new coin in their pocket. The world will not end if you don't spend your money. Make wise decisions!

I promise, I'll try!

Thats-My-2-Cents
Art Haule
http://www.squidoo.com/icollectcoins
http://www.violinstudent.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment